[geeks] New POWER9 motherboard coming out...

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Feb 8 10:38:24 CST 2019

On Thu, 7 Feb 2019, Jordan Geoghegan wrote:

> It sure would be nice if one of the *BSD communities were to make a port to
> Big Endian Power9 arch.
>
> I believe FreeBSD was looking at a little endian port to Power9

There is an effort underway to port FreeBSD to ppc64le for POWER9, but
does the extant ppc64 for POWER8 not run on POWER9 at all?

The lack of interest in explicit big-endian support for the platform seems
largely due to IBM proclaiming that ppc64le is the way forward.  The
saddest part of that is the implied role of AIX in IBM's vision of the
future of big blue wearing a red hat.

--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX