[geeks] Testing UPSs and Scrapheap Challenge 2019

Ross Lonstein rlonstein+sunhelp at pobox.com
Fri Feb 1 09:23:21 CST 2019

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 12:17:40PM +0000, Mark Benson wrote:
    [snip]
> I now have a new Powrredge R440 in my office, soon to be racked and setup
> in due course as our new production server. As we paid a reasonable wad of
> cash for it I'd prefer not blow its PDU system when I hook it up to our old
> APC SmartUPS 1000 just in case it was the UPS croaking that broke the T610.
> As such, does anyone have any ideas as to what might stand as a decent test
> for the APC UPS to make sure it's not flakey or gonna fry our shiny new
> server?
    [snip]

It's probably not the UPS, but you can try plugging a Kill-a-watt
meter ($20) into it then plugging into that something inexpensive but
with a heavy load, a microwave oven or small fridge. If both survive,
try a couple of old desktops. Honestly, if I were doing this I'd just
replace the UPS if it's more than two years old.

- Ross