[geeks] In praise of netgear switches

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:11:38 CDT 2019

Hello all,

I have a small, metal boxed switch from Netgear, a GS108 v2 from years ago,
and it recently died. The symptom was all the link lights cycled on, then off,
in unison over and over again (like a continuous power up cycle). This is
apparently a known hardware fault, bad capacitors.

So I called netgear, secured an RMA, and as a prosafe switch (business line,
not consumer) I qualified for a free air express advance replacement, with a
shipping label to return the defective device at no cost. The replacement will
be in my hands tomorrow.

It stinks that my little switch has a bad capacitor or two, but I really can't
fault Netgear for their quick resolution of my problem at no cost to me.

I debated attempting the return since I long ago lost the receipt, but the
lifetime warranty removed the need to establish purchase date.

I feared I'd have to pay shipping to return the unit, but that should only
have been $5-7 USPS priority mail, and I reasoned a replacement switch for
under $10 was worth it.

Anyway, long story short, if you have a netgear prosafe (metal box) switch
that fails, it's worth following through on the RMA.