[geeks] Locating gdb for Solaris 8

Andy Wallis rawallis at panix.com
Sun Mar 4 12:58:00 CST 2018

> On 3 March 2018 at 19:12, JP Hindin <jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com> wrote:
>> Does anyone have a copy of a prebuilt gdb package for Solaris 8? I'd
>> really
>> appreciate the help.
The SunSITE mirrors still have SVR4 packages of a lot of things, including
gdb.
http://ibiblio.org/pub/packages/solaris/sparc/
There is one built for Solaris 7, so it should work as-is on Solaris
8.Those sites have GCC compiler packages as well, so you could compile
your own version of GDB as well.

> If you don't receive a binary, try building it yourself from pkgsrc.
> Assuming you have a copy of sunstudio or gcc.
> http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/pkgsrc/bootstrap/README.Solaris?rev=1.15

There is a set of single user non-expiring demo licenses that Sun put out
when WorkShop 5 and SPARCCompiler 3 went EOL and Sun dropped FlexLM in
later versions of Sun Studio. With that or the SunSITE GCC Solaris 8
packages, you should be able to compile a version of GDB.

-Andy Wallis