[geeks] Ran the numbers - V240

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 12:44:05 CST 2017

No, I have not looked at it, but my progression was always prefaced by trying
to use what I have:

I started with Sun V240, because I had it, so hardware cost $0, but
electricity would be $300/yr.

Then I thought about buying a small pile of RPis, but despite trivial
electricity costs, the hardware would be about a $300 Buy-in.

Then I remembered my Xeon 1U Server, sitting idle - it consumes half the power
of the V240, and has a hardware cost < $10 (to put a surplus SSD and a surplus
1TB laptop drive in a single 3.5" drive space.

Lionel

> On Nov 10, 2017, at 12:16 PM, Josh Snyder <josh at imagestream.com> wrote:
>
> Have you looked at any of the newer Xeon-D solutions? I have been playing
around with a Supermicro Xeon-D "server" at work, 8 cores @ 2.2Ghz all for
about 35 watts of power. The board also includes 2 10GBASE-T 10Gbit interfaces
that if you disables them in the UFI it drops the power usage down to about 27
watts. Granted this is new hardware and not exactly cheap but performance per
watt is rather impressive.