[geeks] Ran the numbers - V240

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 10 11:35:14 CST 2017

Actually, what I thought was a quad-core Xeon system with HT turned on is
actually a dual quad-core Xeon system that  can take up to 24 Gig RAM. All at
about 175 Watts/hr.

That's a lot of compute in such a small box, IMHO.

I think I'll deploy that, now that I found out how to throttle-down the jet
engine-like fans to a just slightly annoying level (it's a supermicro X7DVL-E
MB that has 'server' and 'workstation' fan profiles, the workstation profile
slows the fans down by about 1/3rd it seems). I'm going to swap out the
spinning SATA drive for a SATA SSD, with a 500 Gig or 1 TB SATA laptop drive
for expanded storage capacity. Not sure about the Hypervisor, but the VMs will
almost certainly be Linux.

My buy-in will likely be nothing more than bracket to put two 2.5" drives in a
3.5" bay - plus electricity.

The server will live (for now) in the garage, due to noise.

Lionel

> On Nov 9, 2017, at 9:20 PM, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have since taken a good look at what's around me, and I found a shallow 1U
x86 Server with a quad-core Xeon and 16 Gig RAM that uses half the power of
the Sun V240 (173 Watts), making my first year cost of operation about $150,
or $2.50/month per VM...