[geeks] Ran the numbers - V240

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 09:20:14 CST 2017

On a whim, I googled "HDMI kvm" and found that such beasts do exist, and if I
can keep my 'RPi Datacenter' down to 4x machines, this $70 KVM would give me a
full local console on each RPi:

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Bytecc-KVM-4UHM-4X1-USB-HDMI-KVM-Switch/251941213985

As a bonus, it includes HDMI and USB cables, and carries audio in/out of the
RPis to 1/8"...

And the Etsy 4x desktop Case looks like this:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/271008828/tiny-raspberry-pi-server-rack-cluster

And for 'super compute applications' 12x RPi in a 2U rackmount enclosure, this
is available:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/544554171/raspberry-pi-storage-rack-rackmount

Of course, this 2U rack option precludes the use of the HDMI connectors on the
RPis, but then again, who 'needs' a local GUI console on a Linux server? I'm
not sure how the 12x rack chassis powers the RPis, perhaps jumpers to header
pins? Maybe you have to source some right angle micro USB power leads...

There are many additional options, these are just representative samples.

Lionel