[geeks] Poweredge 1800 hackery

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu May 11 10:50:09 CDT 2017

I fell over a thread tgat was about fitting a standard ATX PSU to a PE1800
and apparently the solution involved moving the purple line to a different
pin location. I'm assuming therefore the reverse would be true if you
fitted a standard ATX motherboard. I will test it with a scrap board.

As for Dell's proprietary parts habit, it comes and goes. My Precision 390
uses a bog standard ATX supply. I've also tested for failed supplies on
some Optiplex models fully expecting a standard PSU not to work only to
find ot worked just dandy.

I'm still in 2 minds as I can snag a Precision 490 or 690 for about the
same as a Supermicro Motherboard and it will probably take the CPUs I have
but possibly not the FBDIMMs.

I suppose another big question mark is how the fans behave if I rip the
board and BMC out... hmmm... I think it's getting too complicated?!