[geeks] Safe keyboard lube?

Nathan Raymond nraymond at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 08:27:55 CST 2017

Have you looked into the Ergodox? https://ergodox-ez.com/

> ...But I digress.  Anyway, the problem is some of the key caps are
> sticking and binding in their guides.
>
> Now, when I had this problem before on a previous keyboard, I tried
> lubricating the key guides with a teflon-based gun lube.  It worked
> beautifully ...  right up until the solvents in the lube ate the plastic.
>
> So:  Has anyone ever figured out a safe lubricant to use on plastic
> membrane keyboards?

I've never heard of nor tried to lubricate a membrane keyboard. I'm aware
of lubricating Cherry MX and Alps keys... there's a detailed discussion of
lubricants for mechanical keyboards in this thread:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34332.0

- Nate