[geeks] Tough environs for a printer?

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sat Feb 18 09:12:07 CST 2017

> On Feb 17, 2017, at 11:31 AM, <md.benson at gmail.com> <md.benson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Latest silly IT challenge! We have a PC workstation in our vehicle
workshop,
> which Ibm planning to swap for a USFF unit to reduce itbs footprint. Not
> big issue, really.
>
> However, it also needs a laser printer for printing vehicle diagnostic
reports
> from the diagnostic equipment. It, like most workshops, is a dirty
> environment, with airbourne and handbourne dust. the bigger issue is the
> printer in there at the moment is getting very cold at night and steams
> vigorously when you print from it (which suggests to me therebs moisture
in
> there).
>
> Anyone got any bright ideas how we could mitigate it?

Ibd look into building a good sized enclosure for it to sit in.  You
didnbt state what model printer, but most that I have worked with have some
sort of optional side or rear output tray.  Build your enclosure such that the
side or rear tray is lined up with an output slot/tray and the prints go
outside of the enclosure so it doesnbt have to be opened during normal use.
Youbll still have some exposure on the rollers in that output tray, but
thatbs much less than the entire printer.  If the enclosure is sized right,
the printer will keep itself warm as well, but not overheat.