[geeks] Hardware recommendation for odd project?

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Tue Apr 25 14:40:13 CDT 2017

Hi!

On Mon, 24 Apr 2017 08:02:49 +0100, Jonathan Katz wrote:
> Blade 150s also occupy that space. The only system not to use is an
> Ultra1. Although it had a 64-bit CPU there was a well-known CPU error
> which had the OSes default into 32-bit mode.

There's a well known hack to enable 64-bit mode on the ultra1, and the
issue is sufficiently 'edge case' that it's reasonably safe in this use
case. Back in the day I was happy enough to run a scavenged ultra1 as
$work's stealth primary DNS in 64-bit mode, and I'm professionally
paranoid.

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
 By the way, you DON'T want to see what a meat layer buffer overrun