[geeks] Hardware recommendation for odd project?

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Mon Apr 24 02:02:49 CDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 7:22 AM, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What would be the lowest power, smallest, and quietest system to use to run up
> to 64-bit Solaris 9? I need to run an old copy of Sybase for a silly project.

How hefty is the Sybase instance? You could use an Ultra 5/10;
arguably the cheapest 64-bit Solaris systems. The Netra T1 and Sun
Blade 150s also occupy that space. The only system not to use is an
Ultra1. Although it had a 64-bit CPU there was a well-known CPU error
which had the OSes default into 32-bit mode.