[geeks] Raw disk access under Solaris

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue Sep 6 15:31:09 CDT 2016

On Tue, 6 Sep 2016, Jonathan Katz wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 8:00 PM, JP Hindin <jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Sep 2016, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
>>
>>> I think if /dev/rdsk/c0t0dwhatever exists, you can use dd on that.
>>
>> Unfortunately the kernel also enumerates /dev/rdsk/ in the same manner as
>
> Have you just tried /dev/dsk/c0t0d# without a slice?

I was pretty sure I did - I mean, it definitely didn't exist in
/dev/(r)dsk/, so logic says to me since UNIX runs off filenames as
pointers to everything that it should be a no go, but I'll check tonight
for both locations (dsk & rdsk) to be sure there's not some voodoo BS
going on and it does in fact just work.

  - JP