[geeks] Sun CD/DVDROM drive attrition

JP Hindin jplist2008 at kiwigeek.com
Tue May 31 13:18:10 CDT 2016

I seem to have horrifically bad luck in keeping working Sun SCSI CDROM
drives. Drives that worked a year or two ago suddenly stop working while
sitting, but I don't see similar levels of failure on non Sun devices. I
have a lot of old SGIs with working CDROM drives, it appears, and
certainly the ATAPI ones seem to work forever.

The most recent symptom of failure - although I've seen it before on at
least three drives - is the drive refuses to accept any media, even
"none". Pop the tray out, insert a disc and return the tray. The drive
appears to read for two or so seconds, and then ejects the tray. It will
do this even if the tray is empty.

Do I just have really bad luck, did Sun buy some crappy devices, or am I
missing something?

  - JP