[geeks] QNAP TIS-453A mini review

Shannon shannon at ethertoxic.com
Wed May 18 05:42:44 CDT 2016

This is a review of the QNAP TS-453A NAS unit.

This is a 4-bay NAS running QNAPbs QTS which is a customized version of
Linux. The unit offers RAID, NAS storage, iSCSI, Docker containers, full Intel
virtual machines, QNAP Applications, an optional desktop mode, and several
other useful features.

I ordered my NAS from Amazon, and also bought 4 3TB WD Red NAS drives. They
had the lowest cost per terabyte and its more storage than I need for the
foreseeable future. I know Ibll regret that thought, as usage tends to
expand in step with capacity!

Setup was easy, and Ibm fairly sure anyone could do it. Almost everything is
automated except for questions that only the owner could answer.
Administration is easy, but it still does not hurt to have UNIX skills. I have
no doubt that any smart person could figure it out, but a UNIX person will be
able to work much faster. One nice thing about all of the GUI management, is
that it doesnbt violate the basic principles of the UNIX system beneath it
all. You can work from the command line and the GUI as you see fit, or even
install a third party package management like Entware and roll your own.

This NAS came with 4 gigabit ethernet ports, and they can be combined into a
single port using several trunking standards on switches that support it. This
is really nice for serving multiple client hosts at high speed. I have two
ports connected to an HP Procure 1800G, using LACP. Very nice.
My NAS came with 4GB of RAM, and I ordered a pair of 4GB SODIMMs from Kingston
for about $35. That gives the system its maximum RAM capacity, 8GB. Note: Do
not buy RAM from QNAP. They actually have the gall to charge $250 per DIMM. No
kidding.

The CPU is a quad-core Intel Celeron running at 1.6GHz, though supposedly it
can be run at 2GHz. I have not figured out how to do that nor have I felt the
need so far.
The unit has some coprocessors that allow things like compression, encryption,
encode, and decode at 400MB/sec or more. It can transcode multiple videos to
clients, especially nice when combined with ethernet bonding.
The 453A supports all the normal protocols for Windows, UNIX, and Apple file
sharing, and also can serve iSCSI clients.

There are 3 USB 3.0 ports available, with the one in front having a special
button that is programmed to dump the units backup to a drive connected there.
I have not tested USB 3 extensively as yet, but will at some point and post a