[geeks] Design feedback?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Jan 2 22:50:11 CST 2016

I'm tired of store-bought folding cot frames dying within a year because I'm a
big dude... I have a couple friends who work at steel fabricators.. so I'm
working on a design.

Not folding - just "tear down / put back together".  Sized for a twin mattress
- I have a tri-fold 6" thick memory foam mattress I use for overnight stays at
  friends' events or camping.  The problem is that being a big guy, in his
40s, it hurts having to get down / get up off the ground every day.  I want
something I can not only use to sleep on, but sit on without having to worry
about it collapsing underneath me.

The last folding frame I bought was of this basic design, and it started
bending (on the "wires" under the mattress) after a couple of uses, and
eventually after a year the middle leg bent just a little off straight and
boom, there it went (the welds broke).

http://www.amazon.com/SmartBase-Foundation-Replacement-Noise-Free-Under-bed/dp/
B006MIPW70

Here's a quick picture I drew up for something relatively "bulletproof" and
some notes.  Thoughts / ideas / improvements?  I have no idea what type of
tubing or what size or material (aluminum? steel?) to spec out for the job.

http://www.mrbill.net/cot.jpg

Also, anybody really good with a CAD program?  I'd be willing to pay you to
make some proper design drawings once I settle on something, so I can just
give the fab people mesured drawings and let them get to it.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas USA