[geeks] Mac Pro 1,1 CPU Upgrade - failure?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Dec 11 21:52:11 CST 2016

On Sun, 11 Dec 2016, Andrew Jones wrote:

> P.S. don't take the degrees C values too literally.  I don't think those
> thermistors are calibrated against anything.  They're there to detect
> catastrophic rises in temperature to avoid toasting the chip.

I can't speak to Intel's specific manufacturing practices, but at another
company operating in that space, there's a quantifiable manufacturing
overhead invested in keeping that number very close to reality at critical
temperatures and quite close at the rest of the range[0].

Intel probably cares less about this on their workstation parts, but
Enhanced SpeedStep, and Turbo Boost rely on feedback from the thermal
sensors, and that feedback needs to be fairly accurate for good
performance.

[0] specifications for "very close," "quite close," and "critical," I must
     omit due to NDA.
--
Jonathan Patschke
Austin, TX