[geeks] Mac Pro 1,1 CPU Upgrade - failure?

Andrew Jones andrew at jones.ec
Sun Dec 11 10:48:12 CST 2016

On 12/11/2016 09:09 AM, Mark Benson wrote:

> This says the thermal junction between the CPU heat spreader and the
> heat-sink is bad. I took it apart, and found CPU-A heatsink wasn't
> totally touching the plate, or at least had made an incomplete junction
> (would explain a lot) but CPU-B looked fine. I redid both the CPU
> heatsink junctions, using bit more arctic silver in case my skimping had
> stopped it working. Reassembled it and... now it's even worse. The CPUs
> are at 57C and the machine crashes within minute of booting.

You want to use as little thermal paste as possible.  The coat should be
so thin it's not visible to the naked eye.

Thermal paste has a better thermal conductivity than air, but it's much
worse than metal-to-metal contact.  The goal is just to exclude any air
from defects on the surface.

P.S. don't take the degrees C values too literally.  I don't think those
thermistors are calibrated against anything.  They're there to detect
catastrophic rises in temperature to avoid toasting the chip.