[geeks] DIY Fusion Drive

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Fri Dec 9 02:22:50 CST 2016

I am testing a Fusion drive configuration on my iMac.

Basically I am using a 3TB mirror with a 750GB SSD to create a Fusion drive.

The way it works, is the SSD is used until it is almost full, then macOS keeps
the most frequently used files on the SSD, plus a buffer area for new files.

The basic testing went well, but I wonbt be using it for data storage, and
plan to split the drives after a little more testing.

Why? For one thing, the mirror is useless in this configuration, because if
there is a failure of either drive, the whole is toast. I was mostly curious
if the SSD could fix certain performance issues with a mirror, and it did a
fairly decent job. Its not perfect, but certainly an interesting idea.

Anyway, interestng technology to play with. You create them with Applebs
core storage module in diskutil and its relativel painless.