[geeks] Stripping cat6/6e

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Tue Aug 30 09:34:32 CDT 2016

My cat5/5e stripping woes ended the day I bought a good ratchet RJ45
stripper/crimper (an Ideal Ratchet Telemaster, to be precise).  But dear
gods, using it to try to strip cat6/6e with the plastic center spline is
a pain in the ass.  And I, wisely I thought at the time, bought a
thousand-foot roll of the stuff.

The "also viewed" list on an automatic wirestripper in a related
discussion elsewhere contained this:

https://smile.amazon.com/ODEN-Pressmaster-Precision-Stripping-Copper/dp/B00IECS6LQ/

Yes, it's meant for coax, not UTP.  But has anyone tried using one of
these to strip splined 6/6e?

I suppose if all else fails I could give away the rest of my roll of
splined cat6 and buy a roll of 5e, but I suspect we're all going to have
to learn to deal with the stuff sooner or later.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net