[geeks] HP warranty checking...

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 09:05:11 CDT 2016

Hi all,

I just bought 2 HP 36GB 2.5" SAS drives for, basically bugger-all off eBay,
they were listed as seller refurbs, but are actually NIB. The serial nos
line up with the box labels and they wre still sealed in the antistat bags.
This isn't unusual, I've had this withold stock stuff before where a data
centre recycling clearance has swept out all the spare disks at the same
time, still sealed and boxed.

So, I checked the drive date labels, 2007, pretty much as expected. Then I
checked the BOX labels. Oct2015. Wow. AND one of the barcodes says 'HPE' at
the beginning, something that only became a thibg last year.

So I came to that "are these still in warranty?" question. I tried the
serials on HPE's website, and it then wanted a 'product number'. I tried
all the numbers on the box I could see, andsome off the drive label, but
the site seemed to think it didn't match HP's records.

Odd. Any HP folks or peeps managing HP gear got any ideas?

I don't really care too much, I bought them for a Dell Precision 390 I'm
rebuilding/upgrading, but I just had a curiosity.

--

Mark