[geeks] Ahmed, the accidental terrorist?

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 07:30:24 CDT 2015

A couple quick points:

At 14 he's smart enough to know that rearranging the parts of a store-bought
clock is not 'inventing' the clock.

His father is the Iman of the local mosque. I and of itself that means
nothing, but coupled with the history of this particular mosque in town, in
which it tried to establish it's own parallel Sharia Law based court in
Irving, TX and at least MY spidey-senses tingle and tilt me towards political
theater. I personally doubt the father planned this with the his son, but I do
believe once the father was called in, he chose to milk the situation for
political gain by playing the victim of racism.

I fully expect his supporters to attempt to redefine the word "invent" to
include re-arranging components of someone else's invention.

Lionel

> On Sep 19, 2015, at 4:45 AM, Mark Benson <md.benson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 19/09/2015 04:46, Rjtoegel wrote:
>> Bet you won't see that in the news.  I wonder how much of this was planned
so
>> he would get those internship offers and visit MIT.  I've had students get
>> really far with lame, copied projects and ones who really did come up with
>> their own ideas and did honest work get nada.  Another reason I retired.
>
> I think you can look at it 2 ways:
>
> Optimists view: Yeah okay, it's just the insides of an alarm clock fitted in
a pencil box, but hey, he's only 14, he might just be getting started and he
might not know how to or have the resources to explore further. Maybe he *is*
smart and curious, but needs some tutelage and guidance to go forward.