[geeks] Testing a new hard drive...

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 04:04:28 CDT 2015

I just received delivery of a 500GB WD Black hard drive from a supplier I'm
not planning to use again. I think it's polite to say the packaging was in
a poor state when it arrived.

I only needed it as a service spare (I got a Black for the 5 yr warranty)
so it's not urgently required but would like to assure myself it's okay,
before storing it.

Suggestions? Do I test it then store it if it's okay or kick off and get it
replaced (beating in mind they'll probably send the replacement the same
way).

Any good test routines I can run on it? I have Windows and Debian to hand.

--

Mark Benson.