[geeks] How low can you go? Raspberry Pi Zero for $5?!

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 22:15:36 CST 2015

> On Nov 30, 2015, at 7:49 PM, Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 26, 2015 at 10:56:30AM -0500, Lionel Peterson wrote:
>> Interesting minimal device, no on-board networking (Ethernet, WiFi, or
>> Bluetooth), no on-board USB for I/O devices (requires a external hub), but
>> very low price:
>> https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero
>> Thoughts on uses? I could emulate a PDP/8 with one with the addition of a
>> properly-configured MicroSD card and USB hub/keyboard...
>> $5 is damn low for a usable board, not just a raw device IMHO.
>
> People have already figured out how to maximally reduce power draw by
> disabling LEDs, the HDMI port, etc..
>
> I think this was partially a "eff you" to the "CHIP $9 computer" people
(which
> was actually $9 + 20 shipping each, no matter how many you ordered).

It's the logical next step after their 'compute module' model that has a
memory simm form-factor... This is a more accessible version of that limited
Pi.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-compute-module-new-product/

The 'Zero' fits right between the 'regular' Pis and the compute module...