[geeks] Upgraded my Ham license today...

Rjtoegel rjtoegel at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 13:40:39 CST 2015

Hope they gave you time to look them over.  Must be a bunch of rules!  I could
see if you weren't given the rules before you signed that could be the basis
of a good court case.
You'd be surprised how invisible #24 wire is,  especially against the trees.
;)  A mobile antenna that can be removed works too.  Making a good ground can
be a problem.  Another idea is what I call an impedance matched antenna,
basically a length of wire and a toroidal matching transformer (winding on
torpid, one end to wire, other to coax shield, movable tap to coax center).
Use it on the car.  Looks like a 102 inch CB whip but can load on any band,
even 160.  Probably crap at the lower end but I make contacts on 75 and 40
with about 35 watts out.  My first try was on 20 and contacted a ham in Italy.
I guess it works and it's not ground critical.  You always find an old
Outbacker mobile antenna, they work good too.

Bob