[geeks] Windows 7 File & Printer Sharing Nightmare

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 12:53:16 CST 2015

On 07/01/2015 15:11, Nick B wrote:
> I'm going to guess winbind, but I tend to blame winbind when normal diags
> fail me on windows.
> Nick

It certainly sounds like that might be it, nothing that references the
Windows share name works, file sharing, printing, browsing share
names... It has that air of being something like a nameserver failure.
The only thing that is not consistent with that is one serving PC asks
some workstations for a user/password when you try to connect from some
PCs, like it's forgotten I turned the option off.

I am stuck for solutions, though. Rebooting either or both PCs sometimes
works, but sometimes it doesn't. I also don't turn the office PCs on in
the morning so I don't know what order they are being booted up in and
if that effects it.

Any clever ideas?

--

Mark Benson