[geeks] somewhere i'm missing a step...

Mike Meredith very at zonky.org
Wed Dec 30 14:05:46 CST 2015

On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 20:24:19 -0500 (EST), Sandwich Maker wrote:
> likewise with dns; i've set valid servers and can query them in the
> router, but it's not responding to queries on my net nor including
> itself via dhcp.  i've done both
>
> ip dns server
> ip domain-lookup
>
> and
>
> ip domain lookup
>
> as well, which it also accepts, but without effect.  a nslookup
> returns

Not sure about the NTP stuff (but I imagine it's similar).

But the DNS stuff ...

1. 'ip dns server' simply specifies what list of DNS servers the
   control plane should use. Similarly 'ip domain lookup' asks the
   control plane to do DNS lookups when appropriate.

2. I don't know of a way to turn a Cisco router into a DNS server.

3. If you want to tell the Cisco DHCP server to tell clients what DNS
   servers to use (and which NTP servers to use), you'll need to
   configure that when you configure an 'ip dhcp pool XXX'. See :-
	http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/ip/configuration/guide/fipr_c/
1cfdhcp.html
	(there might be a more appropriate version; I simply scanned
	the first search result that wasn't NXOS)

--
Mike Meredith (http://zonky.org/)
  Some people, when confronted with a problem, think ``I know, I'll use