[geeks] Q about USB 3.0 vs Thunderbolt interface on Mac Mini

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 15:37:22 CST 2015

If you still have the stock 5400RPM hard drive in your Mac Mini, you might
use the USB3 drive for the OS and boot drive.  Stuff all the files on the
internal or use it as a Carbon Copy backup, etc.

My Mac Mini will boot faster on the USB3 drive than the original Apple
internal drive.  Quite a nice speed up.

You can also swap the original, 5400RPM HDD for a 7200RPM, a hybrid, or a
solid state to gain speed for all the disk ops.  If you plan to keep the
Mac Mini a long time, an internal upgrade would mean that you would only
have to swap it out once.  MacSales may have a bracket for 2 hard drives.
If so, you could create your own fusion drive or keep everything internal.

HTH