[geeks] Resiting Ethernet Cabinet

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 10:42:51 CST 2015

What I understand is you currently have 16 Cat5 lines that run into a patch
panel that is likely 1u or 2u tall, correct?

As previously suggested (below) I would suggest simply relocating the current
patch panel above the drop roof line using a mount like this:

http://www.occfiber.com/mobile/index.php?product=WF101

(A swing-out wall mount bracket)

Then use pre made patch cables to run the 3-4m to the new rack location. Sure,
you could make your own patch cables, but why? Fourteen foot Cat5e cables are
less than $3/ea [0]... I doubt you can make 16 cables for less than $50,
considering the cost of your time and materials.

To relocate a patch panel with punch-downs would get old fast, with someone
having to cut the sixteen existing cable runs, punch them down above the roof
line, punch down the extension cabling at the new location, then against the
new rack location 3m away. For those keeping count that's 128 punch downs
times three locations, that's 384 punch downs - how long would that take?

Is your goal to relocate the equipment or get really good at punching down
network cables?

Lionel

[0]
http://www.showmecables.com/Category/Cat5e-Patch-Cables.aspx?q=&pg=1&ps=15&fq
={attr_length_sm:14%20FT}

On Dec 17, 2015, at 8:49 AM, Steve Haavik <shaavik at soc.lib.md.us> wrote:

>> Best I can come up with is 16 of these:

http://www.cablemonkey.co.uk/cat5e-accessories/1963-cat6-inline-idc-coupler-b
ox.html

>> And 50m of Cat6 to extend the drops (about 3m each).
>

> Take a look at
http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail.aspx/CAT5e-Wiring-Block-with-Legs-Type-1
10-50-Pair/JPT5E050

> If nothing else there are CAT6 and CAT6a 110 blocks that may work for you.
>
> Of course at that point I'd consider just chucking the old patch panel in
the ceiling, use regular patch cords, and then make plans to rerun those 16
lines later.