[geeks] geeks Digest, Vol 157, Issue 2

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sat Dec 5 11:17:13 CST 2015

" From: Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at gmail.com>
"
" > On Dec 5, 2015, at 7:19 AM, Sandwich Maker <adh at an.bradford.ma.us> wrote:
" >
" > " To me, that's a problem.  I was reading an article the other day about
" > " "corporate death penalty" and while I'm not that far in the spectrum,
" > " there *must* be a way to make the penalties severe enough where it
" "hurts"
" > " vs. just making it the cost of doing business.
" >
" > i agree.  however, we've allowed the corporations and .1% wealthiest
" > people to change our system so that money makes the rules.  'citizens
" > united vs. fec' is a key example.  they've got the finest
" > congresscritters money can buy...
"
" The Supreme Court's Citizens United decision was supported by the ACLU, as it
" struck down a regulation that violated the 1st Amendment rights of Corp. and
" unions to voice opinions in elections.
"
" https://www.aclu.org/cases/citizens-united-v-federal-election-commission
"
" The principle guiding the decision is that when two (or more) people come
" together to voice an opinion, they have no lesser rights than they would
" individually. Corporations, like unions, are comprised of individuals, and as
" such have the same rights as the individuals that comprise the union or
" corporation.

ah, but it's used more often to represent the opinions of the board
and not the wishes of the stockholders, the actual owners of the
corporation...  boards frequently don't even tell their stockholders
what they're lobbying for in their behalf.