[geeks] Anyone got any experience with jabberd2 and mu-conference?

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Fri Aug 21 09:01:05 CDT 2015

...You see, I have a weird problem.

I'm trying to move my jabber services from one machine to another.  All
the configuration files refer not to the canonical hostnames of the
machines themselves, epsilon3 and minbar, but to the floating A records
'jabber' and 'chat', which either both point to epsilon3 or both point
to minbar.  The jabber server .pem certificate also refers to
jabber.caerllewys.net, not the canonical hostname.  All of the SRV DNS
records are in place:

; SRV records for jabber
_jabber._tcp.jabber.caerllewys.net.		IN SRV 0 0 5269
jabber.caerllewys.net.
_xmpp-server._tcp.jabber.caerllewys.net.	IN SRV 0 0 5269
jabber.caerllewys.net.
_xmpp-client._tcp.jabber.caerllewys.net.	IN SRV 0 0 5222
jabber.caerllewys.net.
_jabber._tcp.chat.caerllewys.net.		IN SRV 0 0 5269   chat.caerllewys.net.
_xmpp-server._tcp.chat.caerllewys.net.		IN SRV 0 0 5269
chat.caerllewys.net.
_xmpp-client._tcp.chat.caerllewys.net.		IN SRV 0 0 5222
chat.caerllewys.net.

(The second set of three may not actually be required.  I added them on
the advice of one setup post I found yesterday, but mu-conference has
always worked fine on epsilon3 without them.)

All configuration files are byte-for-byte identical between minbar and
epsilon3, including the mu-conferene room definition files.  If I point
the DNS entries and the firewall rules to epsilon3 and start up jabber
and mu-conference, everything works perfectly, chat rooms are available,
etc.  If I stop those services on epsilon3, point firewall rules and DNS
to minbar, and start up on minbar, jabber continues to work perfectly,
mu-conference starts completely normally and successfully binds to the
xmpp router service ...  and then goes catatonic.  Can't browse for
rooms, can't join rooms, can't create rooms.

Nothing's visibly wrong, it just doesn't work.  Both servers run Gentoo
Linux, with the same kernel and the same versions of all relevant
installed packages, built with the same options.

Can anyone think of anything I might have missed?

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net