[geeks] HP CrapRAID problem

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 00:58:02 CDT 2014

On 21 Oct 2014 01:25, "Phil Stracchino" <phils at caerllewys.net> wrote:

> On 10/20/14 17:41, Mark Benson wrote:
> > I've never pulled up a SoftRAID in Linux. I need LVM for VM storage, so
> > what's the best avenue?
>
> Depends.  How brave do you feel?
>
> IMO LVM should be considered a volume manager and mdadm a RAID manager.
>  And linux mdraid is really pretty good.

Okay. I guess that means build a RAID volume in mdraid then use as a PV in
lvm, then?

> But if it's a non-production
> machine and you can afford to experiment around a little, there is ZFS
> for Linux, and ZFS is the complete and utter shiznit, the bee's knees,
> the magic wand that does it all.

It'll be required as a decent available fallback for a production server,
and as a dev box. I'm not sure if I'm that brave, given ONE likely failover
scenario will be when I'm offsite. Also, ZFS in Debian Wheezy's repo is
significantly behind on features vs. FreeBSD/FreeNAS (some recent prior
experience here). I could build ZFS from source but is that going to break
on a kernel upgrade?

--
Mark Benson

http://markbenson.org/blog