[geeks] "Expanded Universe" of Star Wars, LOTR, etc.

Nicolai nicolai-geeks at chocolatine.org
Sat Nov 29 14:03:38 CST 2014

On Sat, Nov 29, 2014 at 08:53:43AM -0500, Mouse wrote:
> I did a re-rendering of the Ainulindalk in verse - same story, just
> re-written in verse instead of prose - and wrote asking for permission
> to publish.  (I don't think I need it in Canada, as I read our
> copyright law, but I'm not about to investigate other jurisdictions'
> copyright laws just for this.)
>
> They refused.

What a shame.  Sorry to hear it.

> I'm not sure what their motivation is, but it has guaranteed I won't
> spend money on (say) seeing the Hobbit movie.  (Though the manglings
> done in the LotR movies - which I think I saw before this happened -
> came pretty close to ensuring that anyway.)

If you had issues with the LOTR movies then you're not missing much
by skipping the Hobbit films.  I'm enjoying them but they lack spark,
and the "creative liberties" are much more flagrant.

It's possible Tolkien didn't want Middle Earth to be told by anyone
else, and his family is respecting his wishes.  I can respect that, but
I doubt that's the reason.

"Your overconfidence is your weakness."
"Your faith in your expanded universe is yours!"

Nicolai