[geeks] MacBook5,1 problems

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 22 15:41:27 CST 2014

Hello all,

Having a strange problem with wife's MacBook (2008 model, MacBook5,1)...

Her problem is she can't access many websites, like HTTP://www.apple.com,
without massive, interminable waiting (several minutes) in some cases.

She is running OS X 10.5.8, and before I race out and order a 10.6 DVD from
Apple, then but an online upgrade to 10.7, then upgrade to Mavericks, is it
safe to think that her several year-old OS and browser are causing this
problem?

It's worth the $40 for the two upgrades IF I know the laptop will function
normally after the upgrades, but what annoys me is that the first upgrade has
to be physically mailed to me (subsequent upgrades are available online).

Anyone hear of a similar issue? Anyone think I'm on the right path? Anyone
have any thoughts on other things to check?

I've verified DNS is fine and I tried wireless and wired networking, to
isolate problem is not with the physical network connectivity level...

Thanks in advance,