[geeks] Of racks, rails and extenders

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Wed Nov 12 20:00:04 CST 2014

I recently got my hands on a pair of brand new, never used Dell
PowerEdge R610 servers, complete with rails.  The rails are nifty
length-adjustable snap-in roller rails that will snap into either
round-hole or square-hole racks without tools.

There's just one problem, though:  The minimum length of the rails is 2"
longer than the depth of my Digital Equipment racks.

However, I found that rack rail extenders exist.  Typically in 2U, 3U
and 4U heights, and 4" deep.  There's just one ....  OK, there's *two*
problems.  The second problem is that rail extenders all seem to come
with PEM thread inserts to work with either #10-32 or #12-24 screws.
Neither of which will work for me, I needed unthreaded holes.  So I
talked to one manufacturer, Gruber Communications Products, and asked
whether it was possible to use them without the inserts.

"No," came the eventual answer, "you can't do that, they're pressed in.
 But we can make you a set *without* the inserts as a special order.
And we'll waive the special order fee.  Standard price."

They actually tried popping the inserts out of a set off the shelf, but
they weren't happy with sending the result out to a customer.  So
they're going to make a set with no inserts, laser-cut to 0.281" hole
diameter, powder-coat them, and send them out.

Remember the name, folks.  Gruber Communications Products,
http://www.gruber.com.  This is the kind of service that wins and keeps
customers.  If you need something oddball, check them out.  They just
may be able to accommodate you.  And if you need something
off-the-shelf?  Heck, check'em out for that too.  They're good people
who deserve to get the business.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications