[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri May 23 09:15:22 CDT 2014

As for polling, the wording of the questions determine the response.

Many pollsters ask bloadedb questions meant to bring certain results.  I
receive a lot of polls over the phone and the pollster remains anonymous
but the first question usually reveals the survey basis.  I have
experienced 2 different surveys by 2 different companies about the same
subject and it was easy to tell the answer they wanted.  This is a
consistent problem with polls and surveysbyou can determine the answer by
the wording.

As mentioned before, people with guns have stopped answering bYes, I have a
gun at home.b  And why should they?  With the demonization of guns, the
demonization of gun owners is not so far behind.  For instance, the news
media and letters-to-the-editor-writers present the idea the gun owners are
criminals; that carry permit holders are just waiting for the opportunity
to massacre people; that all semi-automatic weapons are fully automatic
weapons; that guns that are black in color/finish are more dangerous than
guns with chrome, wood, etc.

A carry permit in my state has passed the criminal checks that a Sheriffbs
Deputy would have to take.  The carry permit holder is a demonstrated bGood
Guyb with a competent proficiency in the use of their hand gun.

The owner of a fully automatic weapon has passed local, state, and Federal
criminal checksbthe Sheriffbs check, the State Bureau of Investigation,
the
FBI and other Federal checks.  They have passed more checks than a
Sheriffbs Deputy.  The legal owner of a fully automatic weapon is a really
bGood Guyb.

The anti-gun groups portray Carry Permit holders and legal fully automatic
weapons owners as one step away from insanity and a massacre.

An anecdotal story: I was entering a gun show and another person was
leaving.  He asked the question, bHow can all of these guns be sold
illegally like this?b.  I asked him, bHow do you know these guns were
being
sold illegally?b.  He couldnbt answer my question.  My guess is that he
didnbt know the laws of the county, state, or Federal Government.  I
didnbt
either but I wasnbt making these baseless claims.  I looked around and saw
no illegal activitybthe LEOs observing didnbt seem to be worried so I
didnbt either.  (BYW, I picked up a couple of soft-sided mini brief cases.
 One that I have used over 15 years.  Gun shows have lots of cases and
stuff that work for stuff other and guns.  They can be a great resource.)

http://www.gallup.com/poll/150353/self-reported-gun-ownership-highest-1993.as

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/10/us/rate-of-gun-ownership-is-down-survey-

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/jim-barrett/mythbusting-gun-ownershi