[geeks] Netra X1 Available

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Thu May 22 10:00:32 CDT 2014

Hello all,

Well, my testing/playing with the Netra X1 is just about over - I was
able to replace the HD with a nice 80 Gig IDE drive (with a tray to
add a second IDE HD installed), consoled in via a Cisco serial cable,
got Solaris 10 installed by plugging a CD-ROM drive in to the second
IDE cable inside the server and booting off it, and updated the
OpenBoot PROM to 4.0.18 (latest as far as I can tell, installed from
Sun/Oracle Patch 111952-03.zip).

I learned a bit about LOM (pressing "#." will drop you down to LOM
during boot process, poweron and poweroff are two nice commands to
know, along with 'set boot-mode forth'), reset the boot-mode to
"forth", and have installed a current edition of Firefox on it
(sourced from unixpackages.com - they offer Mozilla packages for free
as a public service).

In addition I installed Xming on a PC (the free down release version
from sourceforge.net), figured out how to access the Netra X1 with
Xming (hint, run "Xlaunch", choose single window and supply the
machine's IP address - then everything just works). and open an X
Window desktop session.

As a last note, I found that while the installer will take almost
anything as root password (like, for example. "password"), passwd
requires at least one letter and one numeric digit in the password.

Now, finally, does anyone want this Netra X1? It's in really nice
physical condition, includes rack ears, and the ID smartcard - full
details can be found here:

http://www.andovercg.com/datasheets/sun-netra-x1.pdf

My Netra X1 has a 400 MHz CPU, 4x 256 Meg DIMMs (PC133 Reg ECC, it can
reportedly go up to 2 Gigs of RAM), and one 80 Gig IDE drive with an
empty second drive tray installed (just supply drive and screws).

Anybody? I'd hate to scrap it, but if no one wants it... They don't
use that much power and include dual fast Ethernet ports along with a
serial LOM port.

Thanks,

Lionel
--