[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

Michael Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon May 19 15:15:38 CDT 2014

On Mon, 19 May 2014, Jonathan Groll wrote:

<snip>

> Hey, I'm a South African. We're like the epicenter of family murders
> (where a father kills his family). Never mind Oscar Pistorious. To get
> an illicit AK47 here is neither difficult not expensive [1]
>
> But, even I was shocked reading this (admittedly very anti-gun article):
> http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/05/guns-bullying-open-carry-women-moms-texas
>
> As an outsider reading about US gun issues, the vitriolic retoric is
> sometimes shocking even to those of us who live in parts of the world
> with endemic gun violence.
>
> Can Open Carry Texas really send groups carrying semi-automatic rifles
> along a busy road? WTF?

Short answer: Yes, they can.

Long answer: In Texas, open cary of a long gun (rifle/shotgun with
a barrel longer than 16") is legal, as long as it is not done in a
threatening manner.  Open carry of handguns is strictly forbidden unless
you are in Law Enforcement.

A few years ago (Post Columbine, pre-Sandy Hook), I told a friend of
mine about this.  He verified the law, then started driving around town
on his motorcycle with his Semi-auto AK47 variant strapped to his back.
He pulled up next to a cop car at a stop light once and the cop looked
at him, looked at the gun, looked back and him and rolled his eyes.

Concealed carry is only legal if you have a license.

--
Michael Parson
Austin, TX