[geeks] Anyone know anything about "Industrial FLASH"?

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat May 17 14:10:56 CDT 2014

Am 15.05.14 11:41, schrieb microcode at zoho.com:
> Do you have any particular brands you can recommend based on
> your experience with supporting this stuff?
No. First: I don't wane do any advertising. Second: I am not involved in
this personally. So I can only relay what coworkers tell me. I don't
wane give strong advice based on indirect knowledge. AFAIK: The problem
is that vendors change the chips inside the SD cards without altering
the name of the SD cards. Chip suppliers change things like the fab or
they shrink the process... Even the firmware on the FLASH controlers
make a difference. So if I recommend a product today, it may be carp
tomorow. Or vice versa. As we purchase this stuff in quantities in the
fife digit range per lot, we can get a bit more detail about the inards
and we can be sure that all cards in one lot are based on the same
silicon. So we do a test run and certification with samples from every
new lot. (And yes. Once we had to return a lot. AFAIK a firmware problem.)

Also keep in mind: Consumers want cheap stuff, so they get cheap stuff.
For things like digicams those SD cards work well (enough). Missusing a
SD card as a cheap SSD for an embedded system is, well, more or less
missuse. Either you have to live with the risk of loosing the SD card,
or you have to pay the price for an "Industrial FLASH" SD card that is
designed and specified to withstand that workload.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen