[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

Nick B nick at pelagiris.org
Thu May 15 14:24:28 CDT 2014

You are completely correct, guns *are* "tools for killing".  "Tools for
killing" as you describe them are remarkably *BAD* at your stated problem,
and in fact while killing someone with a band saw, a circular saw, a car, a
bus, a plane, or a thousand other items is trivial, killing someone with a
gun requires you point the gun at them, you have a properly maintained gun,
it's loaded correctly, and a host of other factors.  I presume you ignored
ignored it, but I've already sent you the very best study of "Gun control"
in the USA - First Reports Evaluating the Effectiveness of Strategies for
Preventing Violence: Firearms
Laws<http://www.cdc.gov/mmwR/preview/mmwrhtml/rr5214a2.htm>
The conclusion is incredibly harsh - "Evidence was insufficient to
determine the effectiveness of any of these laws".  100 years of studies,
millions of dollars of research, no result whatsoever.  And it gets better
- one might ask "Why is the center for disease control looking into
firearms, which are not a disease?"  Well that's an interesting question,
and the answer is even more interesting - their official policy is that
Private Guns are a Public Health Crisis.  And they still couldn't find a
single shred of evidence in support of their cause.
Nick