[geeks] [rescue] Guns - what are they good for? - was Re: TME and Apple II and other Drive emulator questions.

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:10:52 CDT 2014

A tenured professor (Ph.D.) at Florida State Univerity (FSU) has followed
the bguns save livesb question and turned it into a statistic.  In the
1980bs he estimated that 1.5 million times during any year, just showing a
gun stopped criminal activity.  One of the NRA magazines, when it was
published in hardcopy, had one page dedicated to newspaper stories of
citizens using guns to stop criminal activity, to defend a person, or to
restrain and hold criminals until the police arrived to officially arrest
the criminals.  There are many stories in the medium of citizens using guns
to stop crime and protect people.  These stories bpop upb all over the
USA.
 The professor created the bshowing guns stopped crimeb statistic and I
have never seen that statistic disproven.  Instead, it is generally ignored
by the anti-gun side.

The NRA magazines are now published electronically and that particular
magazine probably still has the bgood use of gunsb section.

In the 1980bs a survey was taken and it was found that imprisoned criminals
were more afraid of citizens with guns than cops with guns.  The statistic
shows that when a criminal is shot, 3 times out of 4, the criminal is shot
by a citizen.