[geeks] Wiring

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Fri Mar 7 15:59:33 CST 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM, <mw at awia.us> wrote:

> One caveat:  If you run tubes but the contractor doesn't do the cabling,
> make sure you can run a fishing tape through all of the tubes before the
> drywall goes up.  We found out too late that one bend radius was crimped
> beyond use.

If you run conduit without cable in it, you should put a pull-string in it
(and the necessary pull boxes ever 270-360 deg of bends).  If there's cable
in the conduit, that's not as big of a deal (you can use the existing cable
to pull in new cables).

If you have an unfinished basement, it's pretty simple to run conduit from
the basement joists up to the box in the wall (preferably with no bends),
and then either staple the cables to the joist, or put up some cable trays
in the basement (wire-shelf closet organizers work well for a cheap
home-friendly solution).

Pat