[geeks] Router Speed

Phil Stracchino phils at caerllewys.net
Fri Mar 7 14:32:49 CST 2014

On 03/07/14 14:55, Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Yo.
>
> I'm trying to put together a standard configurations for routers that I
> can use in the various places I have equipment.  Some of the locations
> have reasonably fast internet connections (~50Mbps), but also there are
> going to be machines on two LAN interfaces.  One on the public subnet
> and one the private subnet.
>
> If I'm using BSD, one of the BSD-compatible firewalls (PF?  NPF?  IPF?),
> IPSec tunnels connecting the locations to one another and NICs with some
> form of offload capability, how much CPU and memory would I need to be
> able to simultaneously route traffic between the two wired LANs, one
> WLAN and from the LANs to the internet?
>
> The first configuration I would imagine would be between an 802.11n WLAN
> and two 1Gbps wired segments.  The second would be an 802.11n WLAN and
> two 10Gbps wired segments.
>
> My goal in all of this is to minimize purchase price and power
> consumption.  Power consumption is probably a higher priority than
> purchase price.

Consider a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter then.  I've come to like mine now that
I've learned my way around it, and taken the advice to install Shorewall
and use that for firewall configuration instead of trying to use the
default web-GUI iptables firewall configuration tools.

$175 for an ER-POE5, it draws 8W, and according to the benchmark claims
it'll filter gigabit traffic at wire speed.  I'm using mine to filter
and route between one wired gigabit LAN, two WLANs, and WAN, plus a
non-caching filtering transparent webproxy between all three internal
subnets and the WAN, plus serve DHCP on all three internal subnets.

--
  Phil Stracchino
  Babylon Communications
  phils at caerllewys.net