[geeks] Wiring question

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 12:00:16 CST 2014

There are two costs in play - one is the cost of wiring the house, the other
is to upgrade the wiring to Cat6.

The house will be wired, that isn't a question... The question is, in a
residential setting does Cat6 make sense today (probably not), will it make
sense in 5 years? Probably, but not enough to re-wire the house at that
point.

The bump up to Cat6 is a one- time charge measured in the hundreds of dollars,
no matter how many runs I request. (There is a per-run fee as well for
additional runs, if desired.)

Lionel

> On Mar 7, 2014, at 11:33 AM, Rick Hamell <hamellr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I live in the "Silicon Forest" and plan on renting my house out. For me it
made sense to install Cat6 because it'll be attractive to tech workers. But
the couple thousand it cost me didn't add any value to the house at all.