[geeks] Wiring question

hike mh1272 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 10:30:07 CST 2014

The latest Cat 6 would be best.  Cat 6a is officially recognized.  Cat 6e
is marketing.

In buying and selling  bstuffb, I have observed that the more
options/features a bthingb has that higher the used, selling price tends
be.
If you keep your house a long time (something I inferred that you do), you
will have adequate service throughout your ownership.  Probably, in 15
years (for a short-term mortgage) or 30 years (for regular term) Cat 6a
will be outdated.  That is, Cat 6a will last longer with truly functional
throughput.

The issue is to confirm that the contractor actually owns how to install
Cat 6a cable without harming its capacity.  This is probably not a
difficult thing to do when one is onsite.  Testing would be good to do
right after installation and before the walls are covered, if possible, as
well as part of the final inspection.

As with others, I would recommend running several Cat 6a cables to each
room.  The front end costs are outweighed by the need for more cable after
construction is completed.  (Since we always buy used houses, it can really
be a pain to wire stuff after construction is complete.)  If you have
unused cables when you sell the house, this becomes a selling pointbthe
next owners donbt have to do as much.

HTH