[geeks] Seriously?

Jonathan Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Jul 24 19:40:52 CDT 2014

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> I (personally) don't see the value-add over a conventional portable HD
> of the same 1 TB size at 1/10th the price...

Durability.  Drop a spinning-rust disk in a parking lot, and you've
probably lost data.  If you replace it with a 1TB SSD, you're at somewhere
between half and 2/3 the price, and the device maybe fits into a generous
pocket.

At $1K, the market is limited, but the market for USB flash drives was
limited when they were $100/GB, too.  The leading edge of the curve is
always infeasibly expensive for most applications.

--
Jonathan Patschke | "Do the difficult things while they are easy and do
Elgin, TX         |  the great things while they are small."