[geeks] SunOS4/IPC: Change mac

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Mon Dec 22 07:51:45 CST 2014

> As I recall, 10 Mbs uses half the pairs in Cat5, 100 Mbs uses three
> pairs, and Gigabit uses all four pairs... I'm sure this is documented
> somewhere, but I'm also sure I've *mostly* got it right.

I _think_ 100Mb uses the same two pairs as 10Mb; it just uses them more
demandingly (to deliver ten times the data rate).  Wikipedia's
"Ethernet over twisted pair" page, misused punctuation and misplaced
"only" aside, reinforces this impression, saying of 10/100/1000

   All these standards use 8P8C connectors,[note 1] and the cables from
   Cat3 to Cat7 have four pairs of wires; though 10BASE-T and 100BASE-TX
   only require two of the pairs.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org