[geeks] SunOS4/IPC: Change mac

Mouse mouse at Rodents-Montreal.ORG
Sun Dec 21 18:13:34 CST 2014

> Now the network connection drops above a certain packet size...but
> only now the system is in the basement.

> ...I'm gonna blame my hacked-up temporary switch.

Don't exclude your physical layer, such as wiring.  I have a friend
with whom I was talking about networking.  He told me that he recently
switched a particular piece of his house network from 10Mb to 100Mb and
promptly started getting severe packet loss, even though he'd run CatV
and thus should be able to get gigabit speeds out of it.

It developed, later, that he had crimped the connectors himself.  This
would not have been an issue, except that he was not aware that 8P8C
("RJ45") networking puts the pairs on pins 1-2, 3-6, 4-5, and 7-8; he
had put them on 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, and 7-8.  Of course, this meant that one
"pair" was actually using conductors from two different pairs, each of
which had its paired conductor going unused.  Apparently 10Mb was
forgiving enough to work under that condition at the cable length in
use, but 100 wasn't.  Fixing the pairing made it all work well.

This particular problem may not be your issue; I cite it just to point
out that sometimes problems arise from issues with unquestioned parts
of the setup and are thus unresolvable until those parts get
questioned, or at least fixed _somehow_.

/~\ The ASCII				  Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML		mouse at rodents-montreal.org