[geeks] RAID0+1 and ideas, etc...

Patrick Giagnocavo patrick at zill.net
Thu Nov 7 13:11:26 CST 2013

There are a few questions:

1.  Do you "need" LVM?  Personally I find it slow, but the ability to make a snapshot so you can backup stuff is nice and mostly works.

2. You can create, using 6 drives, a single large but redundant device which you then put ext4, xfs, etc. on top of, with just MD devices.  RAID10 (capacity of 3 devices)  or RAID6 (capacity of 4 devices) would work.

3. You can test using ZFS.  I would create a ZFS raidz2, I think (giving me the capacity of 4 drives) then, use "zfs send" to backup in near realtime or on your chosen schedule to spinning rust.  The reason to use z2 instead of raidz is that if a controller goes, you lose 2 devices, not 1.

Certain operations in Linux' ZFS are slower than I would like, but that might not matter - depends on exactly what you are doing.

The ability to set the recordsize (if for example you are using a database with a particular recordsize) might be an advantage; as well, I would ask whether the FusionIO devices have built in ECC or not, to ensure that what is written and then read back, is always consistent (it is after all a new technology).

Hope this helps.