[geeks] RAID0+1 and ideas, etc...

Jonathan Katz jon at jonworld.com
Thu Nov 7 10:12:56 CST 2013

All,

Say you're running a Linux server. It has six Fusion IO cards, each
presents two disk devices giving you a total of 12 disk devices. You
want to RAID 1+0 this setup so that if any physical card or disk
device dies, you're still operational.

My customer set this up using mdraid to stripe the two disk devices
within the individual cards. So we go from 12 disk devices to six md
stripes. Then the md stripes are mirrored card-by-card (so there are 3
md mirror/RAID1 devices.) Then LVM is used to stripe the three
remaining cards into one large volume that we use.

I'm not sure this is the best way to do it, and I want to hear from
others who deal with this what they think (which is why I'm throwing
this out there.) The requirement is for one decent sized, reliable
storage pool of data. I think we have an extra layer of abstraction
here, but I'm not sure how to redo this, or if we even should.

What say the mind trust?

--
-Jon
Jonathan Katz, Indianapolis, IN.